Thursday, August 22, 2013

Home, home, homity-home!

So, I'm very confused about what day and time it is. I got on the plane in Toronto on Tuesday evening, and arrived about noon in Rome after an eight and a half hour flight. My brain thought it was still late Tuesday night. Then I went home and promptly fell asleep on the sofa. When I woke up it was dark, and I didn't know what time it was because I had forgotten to change my computer and phone clock back to Rome time and my brain was too fuzzed-out to do the math.

All I knew was that it was dark o'clock and that someone had slipped a mickey fin into my tea, except that I hadn't had any tea yet. Went to bed, slept until it was still dark and got up. Went back to bed when it was just starting to get light out.

Woke up to the pussy cat patting my arm and meowing in my face, "GET UP, monkey! What are you doing still in bed?" She had loads of food and water in her dishes so she wasn't trying to get me to feed her. She just thought that I'd slept enough.

I just took a look at the clock and it says it's Thursday!

Something has just occurred to me: how come Indiana Jones didn't have to spend a week in bed when he got off the plane in Nepal, or wherever it was he met Marion? And again when they flew from Nepal to Cairo? How come they weren't staggering around Cairo mindlessly buying random things in a fog of insensibility and complaining of their sleep-deprivation-induced gastro-intestinal distress?

Crikey! I really do HATE that trans-atlantic thing.



~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

jet lag is the pits. nick and I and our 6 children all went through it for about 10 days after moving from Australia to the US. At least we were in sync with each other!

Glad you're back!

Louise

Anonymous said...

Hilary - totally OT. It was reported on Lifesite news that Ireland has previously induced labour in a woman who has contracted a serious infection (due to a ruptured amniotic sac) where the baby/ies were far too young to be delivered. At least, I think that's what the report was saying.

Now, this surely is not morally permissible and constitutes an abortion? And do you know if there are other treatments for such a woman? (I'm pretty sure the situation as described concerned babies alive in the womb and not babies who had died in utero). Do you mind helping me out here?

Louise L

Anonymous said...

Now I feel bad - I just realised it was your article. But that's good because it means you know the facts and can answer my questions - if you don't mind of course. Sorry to be a bother - I just can't quite wrap my head around this story.

Louise L

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Yes, it's a delicate issue, to be sure. We're going to be doing a follow-up on Monday explaining the situation in more detail with some interviews with moral theologians and doctors. stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. That will be very much appreciated!

Louise L

Gerald said...

I can handle transatlantics okay, but a flight to South Africa from New York was another story. As far as I'm concerned, 18 hours in the air is 18 hours too much! I hate flying and await with impatience the construction of a magical undersea high-speed train.