Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"The illuminating light of social systems will renew, in a certain way, the Church's experience of mystery."

I was discussing with someone the other day the difference in style between JPII and Pope Ratzinger. I've been reading a little Ratzi and I have to say, it's a joy. The clarity, the forthright assertions of universal truths, the fearlessness, the intellectual honesty...

mmm...

People, even his Australian media detractors, are saying about Benedict that he has the knack for putting complex things into language that people can understand.

My friend was telling me how much trouble he used to have with John Paul's encyclicals. He thought they must be terribly profound because so obscure, and that he was the one to blame for not getting them. Has anyone thought that maybe they simply weren't really all that profound? I am reminded of that very amusing online toy, one that I haven't played with for a long time, the Random JPII Speech Generator. Go ahead, take a few clicks. No one is watching.

The refreshing mysterion of universal spiritual resources will modernize all hope for celebration.

The immense enthusiasm of peace will inspire worldwide mysterious depths of the human person.

The illuminating light of social systems will renew, in a certain way, the Church's experience of mystery.

The intelligent radiance of the United Nations will enlighten modern man's experience of mystery.


Yeah. That's the stuff.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Spot on. I never could read him either. Same thing - I always assumed the problem was on my end. This speech generator, though, it's amazing. It's like reading Crossing the Threshold of Hope all over again.